The Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Program provides for surveillance and evaluation of Maryland's accomplishments in the prevention and cessation of tobacco use. This is partly achieved through surveys aimed at assessing tobacco use for both adolescents (Maryland Youth Tobacco Survey [MYTS]; Youth Risk Behavior Survey [YRBS]) and adults (Maryland Adult Tobacco Survey [MATS]) in the State of Maryland.
See links below for detailed reports:
- 2013 county-level Maryland YRBS data summaries are available here.
2000-2010 Monitoring Changing Tobacco-Use Behaviors
**See Appendix A for Youth Prevalence and Appendix B for Adult Prevalence**
2000-2008 Monitoring Changing Tobacco-Use Behaviors
- 2000-2008 Monitoring Changing Tobacco Use Behaviors - Legislative Report
- 2000-2008 Monitoring Changing Tobacco Use Behaviors - Appendix A: Youth Prevalence
- 2000-2008 Monitoring Changing Tobacco Use Behaviors - Appendix B: Adult Prevalence
Disparities in Tobacco Use Behaviors
- Report on Disparities in Tobacco Use Behaviors by Adult Minority Populations in Maryland, 2006 (November, 2008)
- Report on Disparities in Tobacco Use Behaviors by Middle and High School Minority Youth in Maryland, 2006 (November, 2008)
- Logic Model (November, 2008)
- Provides a comprehensive examination of Maryland's progress in reducing the use of tobacco products.
- Examines change over time (from 2000, 2002 & 2006 surveys)
- Supplemental Appendices
- Examines adolescent and adult data derived from the 2002 MYTS and MATS surveys, as well as change over time (from 2000 to 2002 surveys), with a focus on Baltimore City and Montgomery County comparisons
- Examines change over time (from 2000 to 2002 surveys)
- Examines adolescent and adult data derived from the 2000 MYTS and MATS surveys
Additional Maryland State Reports (available for download as pdfs):
- Tobacco Use Behaviors and Associated Alcohol Consumption on the Campuses of Maryland's State-Funded Public Four Year Colleges and Universities, March 2005
- Maryland Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan, 2004
- Detailed Data Tables for Local Health Department Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Programs, their Grantees, and Coalitions, March 2004
- Prevalence - Youth 1 (Under-age Middle and High School Maryland Youth)
- Detailed Data Tables for Local Health Department Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Programs, their Grantees, and Coalitions, June 2004
- Initiation - Youth 2 (Under-age Middle and High School Maryland Youth)
- A Report from the Governor's Task Force to End Smoking in Maryland, December 9, 1999
Maryland Youth Data Reports:
Below are links to Fact Sheets about Tobacco Use by Youth for all Maryland Counties and Baltimore City in 2000, 2002, and 2006 brought to you by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. These reports have been prepared and published by the Surveillance & Evaluation Component of Maryland's Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Program. For additional information - Call 410-767-6878. If you don't have a PDF reader, you can download the free PDF reader from Adobe.
Click on each name to view and download Fact Sheet PDFs:
For information on the Initiation of Smoking, please visit our Stages of Smoking Initiation page.
For more specific information on initiation by county, use the following link: Shifts in Stages of Smoking Initiation Over Time by County.