- SPECIAL POPULATIONS
SBIRT for Tobacco Cessation in Health Care Settings: Targeted Training for Medicaid Providers
Training > SBIRT for Tobacco Cessation in Health Care Settings: Targeted Training for Medicaid Providers
If you are a health care provider, YOU can play a substantial role in helping your patients quit using tobacco.
Last updated: October 06, 2016
The MDQuit Resource Center has developed trainings aimed at enhancing health care providers’ skills at reaching and intervening with Medicaid enrollees who use tobacco.
Why Target Medicaid Enrollees?
- Smoking prevalence is approximately 53% greater among Medicaid enrollees than among the overall U.S. adult population.1
- Estimates of smoking prevalence among Maryland Medicaid enrollees may be as high as 51%. 1
- Individuals from low-income communities are 1.5 times more likely to die from lung cancer and COPD than those from higher-income communities. 2
Maryland Medicaid Recipients ARE Interested in Quitting Tobacco
- Between 2012 and 2013, 28.8% of ALL Maryland Quitline callers reported that they were insured by Medicaid.3
In order to meet the unique needs of practices across the state, MDQuit is offering online and on-site tobacco cessation training to Medicaid providers.
- Online Training: Our online training option allows healthcare providers to choose from 5 modules to fit their personal training needs. Individuals who complete this training will be certified as MDQuit "Fax to Assist" providers.
Topics covered in the online training include:
- Brief overview of tobacco use among Medicaid population
- Best practices for tobacco cesstion:
- How to conduct a brief intervention (A3C model)
- Information about the Maryland Tobacco Quitline's cessation services
- Overview of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) and cessation medication
- Behavioral changes that promote cessation
- Motivational enhancement strategies
- CPT codes for tobacco cessation counseling
You can sign up for this online training using the following link and the training code medicaid.
- Link to training: https://HABITSLabTraining.litmos.com/self-signup/
- Training code: medicaid
Upon receipt of the Training Request Form, a Center Specialist will be in touch with you by phone to coordinate training details. On-site Trainings Topics Covered 30 Minute Training 60 Minute Training
Upon receipt of the Training Request Form, a Center Specialist will be in touch with you by phone to coordinate training details.
30 Minute Training
60 Minute Training
References: 1. Armour, Finklestein, & Fiebelkorn (2009); 2. American Lung Association, California (2010); 3. Maryland Quitline Report (2013)